Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fabric Finds

One of the days in Portland visiting my son, he drove me to fabric stores. What a guy! I had the article that was in Threads Magazine last year, "Portland: A Fabric Mecca". I was on the hunt for Dupioni silk. I have been using it in my quilts lately as an accent to my hand dyed fabrics. I just love the shimmer and shine. I don't have a good source near me and have been ordering it online.

I did very well. We went to three stores. Josephine's Dry Goods in downtown Portland only had a little, but the other two were a bonanza. Fabric Depot had a large selection and it was 30% off that day. Mill End Store also had quite a bit and they were having 20%. The last two stores were enormous and had just about every kind of fabric you could think of, well worth the visit if you are in the area. So I added to my silk stash......


and added more.......


and more. These are only quarter yards, since I only need small pieces in my quilts for that little added zip. I have made two quilts out of all Dupioni and love that look, too.


I fell in love with this scrumptious lime green velvet. It is double shot and I plan to emboss it which should bring out the turquoisey under color.

5 comments:

Sherryl said...

OOOH, these are luscious! My mouth is watering just looking at them. I think I bought Dupioni online at Fabric.com when they have it on sale. I have only made jackets or pillows with it, not added it to quilts. I my have to try that out.

Norma Schlager said...

That's where I have ordered them, too, with great success. Now I'm thinking I should have bought yardage to make a jacket.

Sue said...

Was all set to comment on the Mt Hood area when you added another update. We stayed at a resort in that area one fall. Perfect. Good to see the pics of the cute animal and young people. And I LOVE dupioni and can't wait to see what your talent and creativity will do with it. I'm sure you'll capture it's uniqueness.

Anonymous said...

That velvet looks fabulous. I did some embossing with stamps on velvet that came out nicely. Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Vivien Zepf said...

It looks like you had a wonderful visit! I'm so glad -- and what terrific goodies you came home with!