Friday, August 29, 2014

Razzle Dazzle


SW 9, Razzle Dazzle

Every year I am asked to make a small quilt for the Silent Auction at the IQA show in Houston, TX and I have complied almost every year. I think that they ask all former award winners, teachers and authors.  Since I will not have a quilt in the show this year due to not entering, I wanted to have at least one small presence.

When I made my latest Skinny Wiggly quilt, shown here, I had many long pieced strips approximately two inches wide left over. I knew that I wanted to make them into a small quilt and played around with various settings.  I decided that I liked them side by side, but thought that they needed narrow strips to separate them.  I tired black and that did not look good, then solid strips of the colors in the strips and that was not exciting either.  Then I remembered this wiggly black and white striped fabric that I bought several years ago and have used as an accent in more than one quilt.  I auditioned it and thought it was just right.

I angled the pieced strips to make them more interesting and varied the width of the black and white inserts from 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch and quilted it in straight lines, changing colors as I went. I decided to give it an irregular edge because that's what it wanted to be.  This is a small piece only about 16" wide by 10" high.


The title of the quilt, SW 9, Razzle Dazzle means that it is number nine in my Skinny Wiggly series.
Razzle Dazzle was a favorite song from one of my favorite shows, Chicago, and you may remember that a Dazzle is a group of zebras, black and white striped just like my accent fabric.



Detail
So if you go to the big show in Houston this fall, be sure to look for my quilt at the Silent Auction.  There will be many small treasures to bid on.  I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday. Go see what everyone is up to.

7 comments:

Hilary Florence said...

This is a little beauty Norma. It certainly does Razzle, Dazzle - it zings. The slight angling of the larger strips and the uneven edges are just perfect. I'm not sure you will be too flattered, but it reminds me of the kind of corset that a cabaret artist might wear. Quite fitting for Chicago perhaps?

Kaja said...

This works really well and you are right, the black and white stripe is the perfect foil for the brighter colours. I would bid for it!

Regina B Dunn said...

It is a jazzy quilt. I love the shape of the edges, too.

Heather Pregger said...

Wow, it's wonderful. And I love the "Skinny Wiggly" series! I'll look for your quilt in the silent auction.

Margaret Cooter said...

Dazzle is also a form of camouflage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage) ... a thought for the next quilt in the series?

The Inside Stori said...

Stunning!!!!!

truonghieunghia said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất hiện nay.