Thursday, August 21, 2014

Postcards

I thought I would take a break from my Canadian Rockies report to show you three fabric postcards that I made over the last couple days.

The New Britain Museum of American Art is having an exhibit this fall  titled : Stitched In Time: American Quilts 1758-2014.  I will have a quilt in the exhibit and I blogged about it here. The show will run until January and they will have a large Christmas tree in the foyer that will be decorated with small quilts.  SAQA members were asked to make quilts that were 4" x 6" (postcard size), 5" x 7", or 12" x 12".  They will be for sale and half will go to the museum.  I like to make post cards and I said I would make two or three.


Here are my offerings. I have made the top one, "Pup in Posies", before for an exhibit in Houston to raise money for a pet shelter and I thought it was worth repeating. I used a landscapey looking commercial fabric for the background, a fussy cut dog from another fabric and grass, leaves and flowers made with heavy Jeans Thread on the machine. The flowers look like French knots.

The bottom two are made of Dupioni silk.  The ferns were fused and the fronds were free-motion satin stitched.  I made two in case someone might want a pair.

We were told to make some kind of hanger and I decided to just put small ribbon loops that could be removed if the buyer wants to frame them or actually use them as postcards.  Yes, you can send them through the mail.  Just put a first class stamp on it and pop it in the mailbox.  I have mailed a lot of them and they arrive just fine. They are quite sturdy since they are made on a base of Peltex, a very heavy duty interfacing. Some people put them in a clear plastic envelope, but I like to send them as is.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I love the bright green ferns- you really captured such nice graceful shapes!

Do you know if they're doing the pet postcards again at houston this year?

The Inside Stori said...

I've been enjoying your travels and got a good grin this morning looking at the adorable postcards!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I am not a dog person, but you won my heart with your cute pooch. Your postcards will be the first to be scooped up.

angie said...

Love the fern print. I have some ferns that I want to print.