Thursday, May 7, 2009

Northern Star Quilter's Guild Show

My guild's quilt show was last weekend and as usual it was a great show. Our guild has a lot of talent and it was in abundance at the show. As for me it was a humbling experience. These judges did not like my work and picked everything apart. They were critical of my machine quilting on every piece. If I did not have my fair share of ribbons at home, I would have been very discouraged about entering another show. Oh, well, there's always next year!

This is Ocean Treasures, all curved pieced and heavily quilted with fish motifs in the water and shells and crabs, etc. in the sand. I quilted it in Jean's thread because I really wanted it to show. The judges didn't like my little acorns on the back. Click on it to see all the critters.




Leaf Study II--Silk Expressions. This is made entirely of dupioni silk and the leafs are appliqued down with a free motion satin stitch. If you click on it, you can see all my quilting.


"Succulent Succulents" This has been on my blog before. I digitally altered photos of Hens and Chicks from my garden and printed them on fabric and paired them with my hand dyed fabrics. This did win an Honorable Mention.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted about the show. I've been checking the site for pictures but haven't seen any yet. It was fun to see what you entered. I love your fish, especially the shark - very fun. What do you mean by acorns? The little knot on the back when you anchor the thread?
I'm looking forward to seeing what the judges had to say about my piece. I'll call you to set up a time to come by and pick it up when we get down there.

Norma Schlager said...

Yes, I think it is the little thread buildup that can occur with stops and starts or changing directions. Since I was using Jeans thread, which is very heavy, they were more prominent.

Susan Schweikhart said...

I was at the show last weekend and was very impressed by your work. I especially liked Succulent Succulents. Its a process I've been playing with. Awards can be very subjective, all judges have their own styles they lean towards, maybe without knowing it.
Keep up the good work and don't dispair.

Vivien Zepf said...

I'm so bummed I missed the show. I would have loved to see your pieces up close; from where I sit, they look wonderful!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

great quilts...especially like the design of the large leaves...thanks for sharing

Jeri said...

Oh, Norma! Your quilts are one of the highlights of the show. At this stage in your quiltmaking journey, you have permission to do exactly what you want, to heck with what the judges think! No one looks at the back in real life, especially when a much loved piece is hanging on the wall. Your creativity, elegance and beauty are worth more than any ribbon.