Monday, May 18, 2009

Rusting again

I did a little more rust dyeing last night, using fabric that I had dyed using good PFD fabric. I was pleased to see that the blue held its color, unlike the piece I did a few days ago using a fabric I had dyed a long time ago with inexpensive muslin.


This is with the good fabric. I like the crisp mottling in the fabric


It's hard to tell in this picture, but the blue has taken on a greenish cast, much duller than the original. There's that fish again. My friend, Lynne, was just over and she found even more fish.

I tried rusting black fabric and got nothing. Next I will try a darker blue. I really like the rust/blue combination. BTW both of these fabrics were dyed using the same blue dye and you can see how much better the PFD fabric takes it. I used cheap muslin for years thinking it was just fine until I was given a sample of PFD and I couldn't believe the difference. That's all I use now.

6 comments:

Sherryl said...

Love it. I still am hesitant because of the decomposition factor. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much.

Diana said...

Hi
Can you tell what are the dimensions of the nest?

Norma Schlager said...

The nest is about 4 inches at its widest point and only about 2 1/4 inches wide inside. The eggs are about 3/4 inch long.

Judy Alexander said...

Very nice. Love the rust with the blue.

Susan Schrott, Artist said...

Norma
You are mama bird!! How exciting...

Lori Gravley said...

Norma, the light blue is beautiful. I wouldn't have thought to use that color blue, but the results are excellent. Thanks for sending me here to look. Also, I love all your grays and the gray and yellow quilt. I'm really enjoying your work.