Wednesday, May 13, 2009

They're Ba-ack!

I like to put seasonal wreaths on my front door year round. I keep my Christmas wreath up until the end of January, then put on a Valentine wreath for February and then a forsythia wreath for March and April. It's not my favorite wreath, but it's a bright spot of color on my dark blue door that seems just right for spring. Last year when I went to take it down to put up my very pretty summer wreath, I noticed a small bird's nest on top, not visible when the wreath was hanging. The nest was empty and I didn't know if it had been used or not. I put the wreath back on the door and kept checking it and within a few days I had 4 small pale blue eggs. I photographed the progress and posted to a few friends . I didn't have a blog last year, but now I do and so I'll record the progress here.

I kept checking to see if there was a nest this year, but I thought that maybe they went someplace else. I checked today and as you can see there is one egg. I'll let you know when there are more.

I forgot how late this happened last year. The birds didn't hatch until early June and didn't leave the nest until July 4. I'll be in Europe June 5-17, so I'll miss a lot of it. I have to stand on a little step ladder to see inside the nest and photograph. It was so much fun to see how fast they grew, from little fuzz balls to full grown birds that barely fit in the nest. Contrary to popular opinion, the mother bird does not mind if you touch the eggs or bird. My front door is used all the time and closes with a thunk, but it didn't seem to bother them at all. Mama bird would fly away when she saw me coming, but never scolded me.


The house across the street has Dusty Miller planted and as she did last year, the bird used those soft fuzzy leaves for the lining. I'm wondering what that turquoise stuff is under the egg. If you click on the picture you'll see some white shiny stuff, too. I have no idea what it could be. Do you?


As I said, it's not the prettiest of wreaths and you can't see the nest at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun to watch the little family grow. It brings back fond memories of a pair of phoebes that nested on our front porch in CT every spring. They'd raise two clutches: one of 4-5 phoebes the first time around and then one of a single cowbird. It was all I could do to not remove that single egg so the other phoebe eggs would survive. Most times I let nature take it's course.
I'm looking forward to your photo journal.

Susan Schrott, Artist said...

Norma what a great story! Isn't nature amazing...it must feel pretty cool knowing those little eggs and babies have found a cozy, safe home on your front door:)