Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fine Art and Flowers

Last week I took a trip to the Wadsworth Antheneum in Hartford, CT to see their annual exhibit of "Fine Art and Flowers". It's a fabulous museum with an extensive permanent collection. For this exhibit over 60 paintings throughout the museum were interpreted in flowers by many different floral arrangers. Some were done by a group, some individually. I learned later by talking to one of the arrangers that when the artists volunteer to do it, they are assigned a painting, no choice involved. This could be very challenging, since every genre of art was involved, from Old Masters to modern art.
Unfortunately my battery died after only a few pictures. Some of my favorite ones were of the modern art (there was a super Jackson Pollack), but my camera conked out before that. Click on each picture for a bigger view.




I think the arranger captured the feeling of this picture perfectly.....the drift wood, the pine branches, the clouds, the rush of the wind.





This stone cherub is so cunning and sweet and I think the arranger nailed it.




The colors and shape of this arrangement follow the picture so well, so serene and peaceful, and it stands alone beautifully, as you can see below.



I wish that I had write down the names of the artists.  I did some flower arranging in a past life. This made me think that I should have kept it up.

2 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

What a cool idea and fun exhibit. And congratulations on your awards; your quilts are wonderful and well deserving of the prizes.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

great pics...third one is a pissaro i think...and either a degas or a lautrec and last one monet at trouville or one of those beaches...nice pics...