Friday, November 30, 2018

Reception

Last Sunday was the opening reception for my solo show at the Gunn Memorial Library in Washington, CT. I sent out a lot of postcards and passed the word as best as I could, but I wasn't sure how many people would attend. I was responsible for providing the refreshments and I didn't how many people to buy for. Would I get 10 or would I get 50. I was pleased to get a very nice turnout. It was hard to count because the show was spread out along the stairwell (called the Stairwell Gallery) and in the big room upstairs. The reception was in a different room, where no art was hung. The room was in the older section of the library and it was beautiful with a gorgeous mural on the coffered ceiling and stunning woodwork and trim. You can see more pictures on their website.


This was the front of the library and the room where the reception was held. However these doors were locked and guests had to enter through the lower level (the newer part of the library), then work their way up the Stairwell Gallery, then into the upper room then into the reception room. It worked out very well.


My friend, Sheila took all my pictures and this is just a small part of the 
Stairwell Gallery. The space demanded that they be small quilts and I had 13 small quilts.




I turned out to be the perfect place for my box people because guests could get up very close to it and see the details. It garnered a lot of attention.




Cathy and her husband had purchased my political statement quilt last year and were interested in this one, In the Gorge. This was in the upstairs room.



It was also a good place for my Sunday Morning Suns. I'm explaining some of my techniques. It was interesting to see what non-fiber people thought of my work. 

Terry, Mary, and Cathy.


It turned out that I had the right amount of food, somewhat demolished here, but I bought way too much wine. Oh, well, with the holidays approaching I know it won't go to waste.

Nancy, Mike and Ruthie



Rose Mary, Donna, and Mary Ellen Note the beautiful stained glass window.


Pat, Terry, and Fran

Ruthie, me, June and Joan

I wish I had taken pictures of my big quilts, but I was too busy mingling. I had 5 large quilts.

I don't know why I was such a nervous wreck about this, but I am glad it was well received and glad that it is behind me.The show will be up through Jan. 5, so if you are in the area, please stop in. 

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

7 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Beautiful work from a beautiful person, inside and out!

Angela said...

Congrats on your solo show!

Marianne said...

Bravo et je vous souhaite un grand succes

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a beautiful place to have a solo show. Congratulations on the artwork, marketing, and reception. I remember reading about the variety of suns you sent into the Sunday Morning Show. I hadn't realized you had made an accompanying quilt. What fun.

Christine Staver said...

Wow your show is amazing. Glad it was a success.

Linda M said...

You and your quilts both look amazing, glad everything turned out well.

Sandra Scott said...

I’m happy to say I knew you before you were so famous😍 your show and quilts look wonderful. Do y’all still have the Friday morning group with any of the same people from 20 years ago? Anyway congratulations on your success 😘