Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12-12-12

Today is the last day of this century that we can have a date with three repeating numbers. Some people are making a big deal of it.  I particularly liked last year when it was 11-11-11 and it was known as National Corduroy Recognition Day.  No kidding, there were huge parties, national conventions and all. I blogged about it here.

But apparently the number twelve has a lot of significance, too.  There are 12 months in the year, 12 numerals on a clock, 12 apostles, 12 to a dozen, 12 bottles to a case of wine, 12 Olympic gods and goddesses, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 inches to a foot, 12 astrological signs, 12 days of Christmas, and probably 12 more that I can't think of.  But it is also the last day of the Mayan calender and some say the Dooms Day or end of the world.  I'm writing this at 6:12 PM (honestly) and so far so good! It is also considered lucky by many cultures and is a big wedding day for many all over the world. I guess it would be very easy to remember your anniversary, too.

Some people are posting pictures on their blogs of twelve sets of twelve things, like this one and this one. I never got around to it and it's too late now since I have to go out for a meeting soon.  But let me hear from you.  Did you do anything special for 12-12-12? Do you have blog pictures to share?

No comments: