Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Baskets

The Embera People that I wrote about yesterday make these beautiful baskets. The weaving fiber is extracted from a palm called chunga. After the dance demonstration, the women set up tables and mats on the ground to show their wares. Again we had about 20 minutes to shop. There were so many to choose from. The tighter the weave, as in this one, the better. It can actually hold water. The price also went up as more colors were used. This simple black and white design appealed to me and it was only $20, a real bargain I thought. It's about 5 inches high by 6 inches wide.
Bottom of the basket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love baskets and this one is stunning!

Vivien Zepf said...

Oh my gosh -- SPECTACULAR!

Rachel Biel said...

I love their baskets!