Friday, March 27, 2009

Grand Central Terminal


This is old news, but I just had these pictures sent to me. Last week 44 members of the Woman's Club of Danbury/New Fairfield took a train ride to NYC for a guided tour of Grand Central Terminal. I am chair of the arts department and we frequently take trips to interesting places, often museums or other art related places. Although we go into NYC fairly often, we never have the time to stop and admire the beauty of the terminal. The tour gave us many fascinating facts about this largest train terminal in the world (if you count all the tracks). For example,the clock over the information booth shown above has four clock faces made of opal, valued between 20 and 30 million dollars! Imagine that!

You may have known that the terminal, often called Grand Central Station, was scheduled for demolition in the 50's until many prominent people, including Jackie Kennedy, started a campaign to save it. The restoration took 12 years and is still ongoing. The ceiling in the grand concourse is a beautiful turquoise blue with the constellations painted on. There is a small black rectangle in one corner that was the color before restoration. The black color was from years of cigarette smoke and nicotine. Thank goodness, there is no smoking allowed now. The gold toned lighting fixtures, which were also blackened, were sent out to be cleaned. The cleaner called back to say that the reason that they looked gold in color was because they were real gold.

The terminal is home to shops, news stands, a gourmet and fresh food market, fast food outlets and several restaurants, including the famous Oyster Bar, open since 1913. The tour included a peek into the Campbell Apartments, which is now a stunning cocktail lounge.

This was one of the easiest trips I've ever run. Participants got to the train on their own and after the tour went wherever they wanted for lunch and recreation. Some of us went to the Oyster Bar and had a fabulous sea food lunch. I had Oyster Stew and Oyster Rockefeller. Delich!

This is the group that couldn't get their act together and pose for the picture. That's me, the tall blonde in the lime green coat.  Notice those real gold lighting fixtures above. 

If you're ever in New York City, take the time to look around this wonderful, beautiful building. even if you don't take the train.

6 comments:

Sherryl said...

GCT has turned out gorgeous. I got the chance to see it well this past spring when I was in and out of it for a week.
On another note. I will be in the NY/NJ area the first week of April... My daughter just bought a house in Maplewood and I am helping them move. Maybe we can meet up somewhere if I can figure out what I am doing!

Norma Schlager said...

I don't have your emalil address, Sherryl. Give it to me and we'll see what we can work out. I'm away the weekend of April 4.

ATLAS said...

You lead then others follow. I like all you do.

Vivien Zepf said...

I agree, Grand Central Terminal is gorgeous! How lucky that you got a tour. Can you please let me know who to contact for that?

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

every single time i walk through GC, i have to look up and see that dark spot... amazing...

ATLAS said...

i wish you visit the peal of Africa you could see where the good things are. if you need to prove, ask Qeen Elizabeth who visited in 2007/nov . isn't it? i love you all