Friday, June 16, 2023

Stitching and Stuff

 I think that I have used up all the circle areas and I just have a few small squares to finish June.



 As I was last week, I'm still liking working with the Perle Cotton variegated thread. I'm only working on it in the evening while watching TV. Too many other things going on during the day.


One of them is a project for the yearly exhibit in my FiberWorks group. the theme this year is Inspired by an Artist. I'm doing Picasso's blue period and I have some good ideas. Part of it relies on my doing a very narrow free motion satin stitch. I have used this technique very successfully on many projects. For some reason it is giving me a lot of trouble. I changed threads and needles and switched to a size 14 Jeans needle and heavy jeans thread. The machine didn't like that at all and jammed. As i was trying to unjam it, this happened.


Yep, sewed right thru the nail and tore the flesh off the side of the finger. It bled a lot and hurt a lot. I called my sister, who lives right down the street and with her help we got it to stop bleeding. She put on a wraparound finger bandage and a finger cot. I had a fancy affair that evening and I really wanted to go. So I did and  got thru the evening. 

The next day I had a luncheon to attend, so with bandage and finger cot I was OK. Yesterday I had an appointment with my primary doctor for a regular checkup. I showed her my finger. I had been doing everything wrong. I was two days too late for stitches and she wants me to wash it every day with soap and water, put on Bacitracin and keep it loosely covered with gauze (none of which I had been doing). The nail and skin flap will eventually fall off.

So be careful out there and don't do what I did. Actually I did it once before several years ago, but that was with a regular needle, which broke and did not injure my finger as much. The Jeans needle is much stronger and it did not break.

BTW I was able to embroider in the evening with no trouble. It was my left hand that I injured and I am right-handed.



I had a great new dress to wear to the Gals and I went in my closet hoping to find an appropriate small  bag to take. I found this one that I made several years ago and it was perfect with the dress. It is Dupioni  silk and the patch is velvet embossed by me.


Altho it was small, I was able to get a lot in it. I bought the handles and directions at the Houston quilt show. The fabric comes off and you can use the frame with other fabrics. My sister made two out of cute summer fabric.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

3 comments:

LA Paylor said...

oh my gosh
I sliced the edge off a finger once... took a long time to granulate in. Your wound is so bad! I won't let my husband see it, he is always saying stop sewing it's too dangerous!
Norma your stitching is wonderful... you and my friend Cindy would enjoy comparing stitching... she's doing free form organic stitching with beads lately on her hand painted fabric
I always am impressed with your workmanship... heal fast! sorry I missed this post til now
LeeAnna

dq said...

That is a very sad finger day - ouch!
I love your bag - so cute.
Did you design the piece in your first photo? It is absolutely stunning and wonderfully colorful!

kathy loomis said...

Oh Norma, I get queasy just looking at your poor finger. I once had about a quarter-inch of a machine needle break off in my left index finger -- I should have been more careful about waving my hand around so close to the moving parts. It didn't bleed or need stitches but did require a trip to the ER to have it dug out. My worse injury came when I sliced into the nail with a rotary cutter. That bled and was awful. It made me so sick to even look at it that I made my husband change my bandages. I hope you heal quick!!!!