Thursday, October 10, 2019

Finished!

I put the last stitch in this quilt a few minutes ago. I thought I was going to be able to do a no-hand-sewing-flange binding, but it didn't work for this quilt. I have another quilt that needs binding and I will use it on that and I will explain it then. I did a regular binding on this and hand sewed it to the back.


This is pinned to my design wall and it looks wonky, but in reality it is perfectly flat and squared. Hooray! Unfortunately the quilting does not show in this picture, but it is heavily quilted.


I did an all over quilting design in a pattern that is called garlic. I have used this design many times and I can practically do it in my sleep. It is so versatile and can be facing in any direction. I probably should have done it in a bigger scale, but once I started I was committed. I did it on my Sweet Sixteen and did have some issues with it. A call to the Handy Quilter help line was very helpful. She was on the phone with me for about a half hour until we got it worked out. It is a joy to work with when it is behaving.


Another good thing about using the Sweet Sixteen is the powerful motor. This quilt had a LOT of seams and a LOT of intersecting seams that I know my Bernina would have balked at, but this baby just glided right over them. It was just like quilting on a whole cloth. It also has that 15 inch space between the machine and the needle, so no rolling up was necessary. 


I made two extra blocks from the left over triangles in two different patterns. I still have to add some borders and quilt them and they will be pillows to accompany the quilt.

I will be linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

This turned out so pretty! The colors are vibrant but not psychotic so it feels really soothing. Thanks for sharing the quilting too. I've never done an integrated flange binding- I'll have to stay tuned to hear how you do it.

LA Paylor said...

I loved your review of the S. S. The quilting does show and it's terrific. There is no limit to binding techniques is there! I look forward to hearing your description. LeeAnna

Sue said...

Your amazing amount of finished quilts and art pieces is just mind boggling. And always done with your usual perfection and eye for creative design. Fun to enjoy and admire......

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous quilt! You used my favorite colors! Your quilting is just lovely. Fabulous finish! Pinning.

Sarah said...

I really like the colours and pattern of this quilt and amazing quilting too!