Thursday, April 14, 2016

New Garden Studies

I made over 20 Garden Studies for my solo show back in June and they were quite popular and sold very well. I was recently contacted by a gallery owner in Grand Haven, Michigan who wants to start carrying fiber in her gallery. She had seen something of mine on Pinterest and that brought her to my blog and she liked what she saw. We have corresponded and she wants 12 Garden Studies and two of my larger quilts to start. You can go to her website at c2cgallery.com and see what it's all about. It looks like a great place. I wish I lived closer, but I'm pretty far away here in CT.

My Garden Studies are made from photos that I have taken, then digitally altered in Photoshop Elements, then printed on white cotton, then free motion machine stitched. I had previously made them six inches square and mounted them on 9" x 12" canvases. These new ones are 8 inches square mounted on 10 inch square canvases and I think these make more of an impact.

I have about 25 or 30 photos in my folder. I had made a lot of yellow ones, such as sunflowers and Rudbeckia, and they seemed to be well liked. I like them, too and am doing more of them but wanted to add some new ones to my inventory, so I am sharing these newest members of the family.


This robin's nest was in a tree in my front yard a few years ago. Of course I love the turquoise color of the eggs and the one bright green piece of grass woven into the nest. That momma bird was such a good decorator! You may remember this photo from a recent "Wordless Wednesday"
I haven't written the title on this one yet. I think it will be "Anticipation".




I'm very fond of Echinacea (Purple Cone Flowers) and their wonderful  colors. This looks like a brilliant magenta color on my monitor, but I could not get it to print any brighter, so matter how much I pumped up the color. But I decided I like it anyway. I did machine French Knots with Jeans Stitch thread on each of those center anthers. Lots of work, but worth it, I think.




This bee was so intent on his work that he let me go in the house and get my iPhone and take several pictures. More of those French Knots in the center.




No one gets to see the back, but I think it's pretty cool. I should mention that my fabric is fused to Peltex (a very stiff interfacing)  before I stitch. It keeps it nice and straight and there is very little distortion no matter how much I stitch. I make them about 8 1/2 inches square and then trim them down to 8 inches.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

5 comments:

Regina B Dunn said...

Those are lovely and they are very well presented.

Linda M said...

Congratulations on getting into a gallery, well deserved.

LA Paylor said...

love working with peltex. They are such beautiful and interesting mixed media pieces. I bet lots of people coming through the gallery wonder how in the world you make them!
Leeanna

The Inside Stori said...

Fabulous.....you have a real eye for the composing these subjects and of course your high skill level of contructions makes them winners!!

quiltedfabricart said...

Love them all! And thank you for showing the back so we can see you quilting.
Congratulations on the opportunity