Friday, August 28, 2015

New Work (sort of)

I made five of these 12" x 12" squares for a project last year and they ended up being the wrong size for what I needed.  After all that stenciling I didn't want them to go to waste and knew that they would be perfect for my FiberWorks current project.  We are to make three pieces 12" x 12" that are related in some way and mount them on a black background 14" x 40", which leaves one inch around each piece on all sides.





You may remember seeing them on a previous blog.  The fabric is from my snow-dyed stash and I used several stencils using Shiva paint sticks. I fused on various quotes about time and machine button-hole stitched around them. I then quilted around each motif and applied different gears and watch parts.  I was going to sew them down, but I decided to try Acrylic medium and it worked perfectly.  I was afraid they might pop off if the quilt was bent or rolled but they seem to be very secure.  See the pictures below for some detail.






Please click on any picture for a bigger view of all and check out Off The Wall Friday to see some terrific work by other artists.


7 comments:

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

Norma: these are so cool. I love the embellishments and the words make it really intriguing. Great repurpose!

LA Paylor said...

good thing we don't live closer... we'd be confused as to who's stash these things came from! I have lots of those little clock bits but sew them on. They cut the threads over time, so your glue may be the answer if it holds up. Just kidding about the living far apart, wish we were closer to have play dates. LeeAnna

LA Paylor said...

the blogger system just asked me to verify which pictures had cabbage. I swear that might be the hardest thing I do all day!
LeeAnna

Angela said...

Such a good use of those stencils!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

You would never those pieces weren't created just for this purpose. You've combined the embellishments, text and surface designed fabric work so well together.

sonja said...

who knows where time goes..... your pieces make me think of a song from long ago, far away. i like these pieces very much and text and fabric and color composition. thanks for leaving comment on my last post.
And those cabbages GOT ME TOO! Must be TIME TO MAKE RUBY KRAUT again!

Regina B Dunn said...

All your collage elements fit together so nicely. You have good reason to be satisfied with the final result.