Saturday, August 8, 2015

Eggs-cellent.

One of the members of our FiberWorks group, Gwen, has chickens and in the spring, summer and fall she sells her eggs.  They done't lay much in the winter.  The color of the shells are beautiful and she always arranges them artfully to showcase the blues, greens and many shades of brown and tan.










But this week I had a big surprise when I cracked them open and I ran for my camera.  Look at the color of these yolks! Her birds are cage free and have a large fenced yard.  Apparently they are eating the red berries from the honeysuckle bush and that accounts for the red/orange color of the yolks.
She feeds them fruit and veggie scraps, crumbles, crimped oats, watermelon and grass clippings.






Right now my favorite way of cooking eggs is to put a pat of butter in the pan and when it has melted to crack the eggs into the pan and scramble them with a spatula right in the pan.  So I had orange scrambled eggs and they are so delicious.








3 comments:

Linda M said...

My daughter has chickens and the egg yolks are always more toward orange than the yellow from commercial eggs. We also get some locally from friends and they just taste so much better.

Sarah said...

Those egg shells are beautiful! When we were in Cornwall earlier this year the farmer had a glut of eggs and he and the dog were fed up of eating them! We had a feast and they had bright yolks just like yours....delicious! I really fancy dippy in eggs now!

Vivien Zepf said...

That's very cool. Who knew?