Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chile

I am embarrassed to say how little I knew about South America.  I've never been good at geography.  But if I've been to a country I can now visualize it on the map in my mind. Now I know that Chile is a very long and narrow country with the Andes on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other.  

We were there at such a good time of the year, October and November being their Spring and there were flowers everywhere.


California poppies were especially abundant.  The theory is that the workers from California brought the seeds and in this perfect climate, they proliferated.  Every meadow along the roadside was full of them.  I couldn't get a good shot from the coach, but when we stopped at this place along the ocean I took a lot of pictures.



Cultivated flowers were also in profusion.


A huge group of seals, sunning on the rocks.

We took a cable car passing through miles of beautiful wine country to visit a winery in the Colchagua Valley.  Chilean wine is very good and the scenery was breathtaking.


We are always joking that we are going to find a cute, tall guy on our trips, but this was the best I could do.  Well, he is tall and he is cute!

Be sure to click on the pictures for a bigger view and come back tomorrow for Uruguay.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I knew you must have gone somewhere but since you've already been EVERYWHERE, I couldn't imagine where you had gone .....but completely forgot about SA. Looking forward to the pictures and stories. Maybe we can catch up next week or two when we are in the cold North.

Vivien Zepf said...

Oh, you're safely back and it sounds already like you had a wonderful trip; fantastic! You know how fond I am of Central and South American and I'm glad to hear you feel the same. Can't wait to see your Uruguay pictures -- I've never been and will thrill to live vicariously through your pictures.