Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Buenos Aires

From Montevideo we took a high speed ferry across the Plato River to Buenos Aries.

Buenos Aries is such a beautiful city, with stunning French and Italian architecture and modern skyscrapers, too.  It reminded me of Paris with its wide avenues and beautiful parks.



The Jacaranda trees were in full bloom with billows of purple blossoms, lining the avenues.  They will bloom again in February, but then they will also have leaves and the flowers are not as noticeable. 



We saw so many dog walkers in the city.  It always amazes me how they all stay together and seem to get along.  Some walkers had all dogs of a similar size and breed, but this one was all mixed up with two little poodles squished in the middle.





We went to visit the Eva Peron Museum. As with most things in life the Argentineans are passionate about her, they either love her or hate her.  We learned a lot at the museum, which was a big fan and then got a different slant by our local tour guide. She certainly was a fascinating person and now I really want to see "Evita" on Broadway.


  She was a beautiful woman and very well dressed.  The black dress was worn at her interview with the Pope in Rome.



We visited the cemetery to see her mausoleum, which was rather nondescript, but others there were spectacular, with angels galore.








On one night we were treated to private tango lessons, a dinner and then an incredible tango show.  None of my pictures of the tango show came out.  My camera is just too slow. But here are some of us at the dinner (more meat!).  The elderly gent to my sister's left is 88 and was widowed 2 1/2 years ago.  Since his wife's demise he has taken eight long trips, such as this one.  He was traveling alone and able to do most of the itinerary.  I give him a lot of credit.

Our group of twenty-five was seated at one long table and the restaurant was quite full.  All of a sudden, from two tables over came this spontaneous and beautiful singing.  The two tables held a group of touring a capella singers from Portugal.  They gifted us with two songs and they were the highlight of the evening.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I will be traveling with my sister to her daughter's house.  That will most likely set me back on my blogging, but please come back for more.  In the meantime I wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving, however you choose to spend it.  I know that I have much for which to be grateful.

2 comments:

Linda M said...

I'm loving the travelog, now I want to go to South America! Happy Thanksgiving

Vivien Zepf said...

Tango lessons - how wonderful!