Monday, February 6, 2012

Sneak Peek

I have been working on a sheer, two-sided wall hanging that is eight feet long and 18 inches wide. There is nothing between the two layers so that one side shadows through to the other. I purposefully made it wider that it needed to be, figuring that I would trim off the selvedge and give it wavy edges. I cut out the fish and grasses from Dupioni silk and fused them and stitched them to the sheer organza. I was rather pleased with the results.
I sewed the two side together and made an internal sleeve and then hung it up. It listed to one side rather precariously, but I thought that cutting the sides in waves would make it look right. Well, I totally ruined it. So all day yesterday and into the evening (with the Super Bowl on in the background), I painstakingly cut away the fish and grasses from the organza. Today I made two new panels, measuring very carefully so that they would hang straight.

Here's a few of the fish. You can see the shadowing of the fish on the other side.



Now I have to add fusible to the back of everything, which I cut in one piece, like spaghetti with fish attached. Then pin it back onto the sheer panels, iron it down and sew it down again. Argh!!

The next three days are very busy for me, including a trip to NYC to see Porgy and Bess and many other things, so I can't sew again until Friday or Saturday. I was so ready to be on to the next project, but I have to finish this first. It has a deadline. I'll show the finished product. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Sue Andrus said...

It looks like a wonderful piece! Such a bummer that you ended up having to re-do... I love the effect of the fish, etc. on one side also showing on the other. I can't wait to see it finished...

Quilt Inspiration said...

What an excellent idea. I love sheer hangings that flutter in the breeze; have seen it done with hand-dyed silk but not with applique. I am sure it will be beautiful.