Sunday, February 12, 2012

Finally Finished Fish!


Here are the sheer panels I talked about a couple of blogs ago. I finished them last night at 8:20. Whew! I am glad to have them done. You can see how tall they are hanging here, right up to my eight foot ceiling and almost touching the floor. I wanted each piece to hang loose , but for some reason one side would zig while the other zagged, so I had to tack them together in a few places. I wonder if it would have been different if I had used silk or cotton organza instead of the polyester or nylon that I did use. Silk or cotton was not available locally.

One side is pale blue and the other is aqua, although I don't think you can tell. Are you wondering why I made something in such an unusual size? You may remember my mentioning a group of which I am a member, FANE. We put on an annual show at a library, but this will be at the Northern Star Quilter's Guild quilt show in May. Our panels will be in a separate room and will be suspended from the ceiling and you will be able to walk around them, so they must be two-sided. There is no theme, although the exhibit will be called Totems, and they all must be the same size. They can be two layers, three layers with batting between or just one layer of fabulous art cloth. I've only seen two other partially finished pieces, but I think it will be a fabulous exhibit. I will be sure to post pictures.

I am trying to come up with a name. The only one I can think of is "Fish Flash". Any suggestions?

Now onto my next adventure. Brown Planet is looming on the horizon. I'll post about that in a few days.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norma, this is lovely. It makes me think of a core sample taken of a fish tank or the ocean. And I love the translucency of it.

Judy Momenzadeh said...

Love to see them in person, they look as if we're looking through the water!

ann said...

BEAUTIFUL! Love the way they show through.

Names? Fish Story, Sea View, In the Swim?

That's it for me.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

I Love the fish panels. Love that it is transparent.

Nancy Schlegel said...

Your panels are really creative in that the one side shows through as shadows on the other side-or like fish in the distance that are just barely able to be seen. I may have to trek down to Somers this year and see them in person. I hope you continue this idea in future projects.

And no snow is frustrating us skiers!

Nancy Schlegel

Cindy Green said...

Wow! You've been busy! Your totem is gorgeous! I am looking forward to getting started on mine but I know I'll be struggling with the length of it. I also plan to work with sheers. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, belated Happy Birthday! The cupcakes looked divine!

Vivien Zepf said...

This looks absolutely wonderful, Norma. The sheers work together perfectly. As for a name, how about "Sea-through"?

Funky Diva said...

Norma, what wonderful pieces. I am so impressed. Perhaps a reason they don't hand the way you would like is because you had to take out all that stitching. When I make a garment and have to do something like you had to do, it affects the way the item hangs. Anyway they are fabulous. Maggie Winfield

Funky Diva said...

Norma, I like Vivian's title "Sea-Through" very much. Maggie

Sue Andrus said...

Your fish are wonderful! It sounds like the exhibit it will be in will be really interesting.. Looking forward to future photos!

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Norma, this is just lovely. Wish I could see it in person!

Quilt Inspiration said...

Aha, it turned out beautifully. Very aquatic looking! Congratulations!!