Thursday, August 4, 2011

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade


While on a recent trip I spied a wonderful scarf in a boutique. It was made of little silk squares about an inch wide joined by thread and fancy yarn. It was bound in silk and had a lovely airy look and feel. I thought that I could duplicate it and tried a small sample when I got home with no binding. I pinned the squares to water soluble stabilizer then sewed between the squares with rayon thread, then couched some interesting yarns, then washed away the Solvy. I was so disappointed with the stiff, crooked thing I had created. Not at all like the pretty scarf I had seen. Lemons for sure!

But the more I looked at it, pinned to my design wall, the more I liked it. So I made some more in different colors, but all in the same color family. They are quite stiff and could be softer if I washed out the Solvy more throughly, but I like the stiffness and sculptural quality.




The "fabric" that they are pinned to are dye-grabber sheets. I now put one in all my washes when I do my hand dyes. I have used them before in quilts and like the somewhat leathery texture they get when quilted. They are very durable, made from some kind of non-woven material.

These little wonky units may or may not go into the big green quilt that I recently started working on again. I had put it away but resurrected it last week and I'm piecing away again. I blogged about it here.

Lemonade? What do you think?

2 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Oh, these could make really interesting filler strips!

Cindy Green said...

I agree, I like them! They look like they were fun to create and will be fun to incorporate into something. We all need a little fun, right? Lemonade it is!