Friday, March 26, 2010

New Portrait

The past two weeks have been ones of false starts and disappointing results. I have made three attempts to make a portrait of my darling great, great nephew. He is the cutest little boy and I had wonderful pictures with which to work, but making a portrait was not easy. The first two attempts I wouldn't even show here and I was not thrilled with this one either, although it's much better than the first two. Since it is only 8" square, I decided to put a border on it.


I also started a small quilt using photos printed onto fabric. What I thought was going to be fabulous is just terrible. Stash that one in the circular file! Then I started another venture on Wednesday. Although my original premise is not working, I still have high hopes for it. It involves dyeing some more fabric today, since I used up so much on the false start.

I have a quote posted in my studio that I think is perfect for this situation:
"Art is the appearance of effortlessness and the perfectly right choices. What is hidden are the sloppy paint cans, the crumpled pages on the floor, the canceled ideas and promises."
I don't know who the author is, but I can soooo relate to it right now. How about you? Have you had periods like this?

1 comment:

Vivien Zepf said...

First off, I think this portrait is adorable! I think you've captured his look perfectly. The only suggestion I would make is that the left cheek (as we face it) is rounder than in the original picture.

I'm intrigued to see pics of the piece you're working on now. And yes, my circular file is often overflowing with rejects!

I don't know whose quote you have listed, but I think it's great. Lichenstein said something similar; it goes something like "I toil behind the scenes to make my final piece look effortless."