Saturday, March 20, 2010

First Day of Spring

We've had some glorious spring weather for the past few days, cold in the morning and up to the high 60's or low 70's during the day and very sunny with little wind. Perfect! Today is the first official day of Spring and I celebrated by planting pansies. Here in CT I know it will get cold again with frost and possibly (Heaven forbid!) snow, but the pansies are so hardy that they will survive.
I have a big pot on my front sidewalk that I always plant with summer annuals, then put in the garage for the winter. This year I decided to keep it out all winter since it is so heavy and hard to maneuver. I put evergreens in it with some with painted branches and it looked very nice all winter. But it didn't look good empty, thus the pansies. They will get very leggy by June and I will replace them with summer plants.

This blue painted terracotta pot is on my front porch. My stone bunny was glad to get out of the garage and back where he belongs.


Don't you just love these pinky lavender faces? My mother was very fond of pansies and I always think of her when I see them

I had my quilt group here yesterday, just two days after St. Patrick's day so I took advantage of the color scheme. This glass basket was my grandmother's and it is just perfect for tulips, which I buy nearly every week when they are in the grocery store. I made Irish soda bread and served Dubliner cheese, a wonderful sharp cheddar, sliced kiwi, green grapes, and lots of fresh berries and my new love, Mango. Yum. I used white dishes to break up all the green in the tablecloth and a couple of green serving dishes and green napkins. I should have photographed the table before I cleared it.


A dear friend gave me this little blue Japanese style flower container (made in Maine), which has a built in frog (pin needle flower holder). You only need two or three flowers and a few twigs to make a simple arrangement.

1 comment:

Carole said...

What a joyful sight!!
I always enjoy your site even tho' I don't always post....
I have a gift for you on my blog.