Finally I have something new to show. I've talked about this macro project before, a challenge done for the Fiber Artists of the North East (FANE) that meets monthly with Jane Davila as our mentor. We were to take a Macro shot of anything with our camera. For those of you who don't know, a macro shot is a setting on most digital cameras where you can take a very close up picture. Then we were to use that photo as inspiration for a quilt, any size. Here is my finished product, Feather Study. Please click on each picture to see more detail.
Here is the photo I started with, a grayish white feather on bright turquoise fabric.
I cropped the photo to make it square, then took it into Photshop and changed the picture to four different colorways. Changing the color just changed the background color, but when I used the Posterize filter, it brought out many under colors in the white/gray feather. I printed out each altered photo to about 8 inches square onto fabric and pieced them together. I liked the secondary pattern that emerged when I rotated the 4 pieces to sew them together.
Then I heavily machine quilted it, changing threads many times to match the color in the photo. I enjoyed this process immensely and want to do some more.
There were some fascinating pieces shown last night , using many different techniques. I know, I know I should have had my camera, but once again I left it home.