Saturday, November 14, 2009

Art Every Day Month, Day 7

Quite awhile back I rust-dyed some of my hand-dyed blue fabric and was very pleased with the results. I incorporated it into a quilt and, again, was happy with the outcome. My problems began when I started machine quilting. No matter what thread or needle I used, the thread kept breaking. I sewed as much as I could and today I am going to start the hand stitching. I don't think that that will be easy either, but I plan to use a thicker thread and take big stitches.

I had only washed that rusted fabric by hand with regular soap. This piece of fabric here, I machine washed in very hot water with Synthropol. I experimented with the machine quilting with much better results. I purposefully sewed through the rusty parts and the thread only broke twice. I have another piece of rusted fabric and I am going to see if it's any better washed twice. I really like the look of the rusted blue and would like to do some more quilts, but only if I can solve the thread breaking problem. BTW I have sewn through plastic credit cards, plastic drinking cups, Tyvek and other weird things with no problems, which is why the rusted thing has me stumped.

I know that the quilting that I did on this piece doesn't make any sense.  I was just "doodling" with my needle.  If this had been an actual quilt, the quilting design would have been different.


Detail

7 comments:

Jen* said...

I love the stitched doodle...it is so flowy and fluid!

Lois0607 said...

I agree with Jen, the stitch doodle is really beautiful. Love the rust color too

Anonymous said...

The stitching is incredible. Good luck with the thread.

my croft said...

oh! I like this! the doodles especially.

I wish I had some hint or tip or such that I could share about the thread problem -- I usually just slow down more than usual (which means I'm practically stopped, I can handstitch faster) but I suspect you've tried all the usual things. Maybe someone at the next meeting will know something useful. . .?

manuela said...

I love the fabric, rust and blue are such a beautiful combination! As for the breaking thread, maybe Sewer's Aid might help. Just a drop on a piece of felt over which the thread passes to reduce friction?

Norma Schlager said...

Yes, I did try all the usual things, including Sewer's Aid. The hand stitching is working, but it's *very* slow going.

Expressive Hart said...

I'm intriquged by this brand new world of textile arts! Beautiful colors and masterfull stitching!