Thursday, July 22, 2021

Weekly Stitching and a New Book

 My more astute and observant readers will see that I've changed my title to Weekly Stitching instead of Daily Stitching. I only seem to get five squares done a week and this week I also completed the page of my challenge book for June, a little behind. More about that later.

Again I saw this cute free form(ish) border design and adapted it to a small circle. I did it over and over, changing the fabric and the thread to coordinate with fabric. Oye! I am running out of ideas but I will persevere. I am also running out of squares, altho I have plenty of ice dyed fabric that I did last winter before I went to Florida. I bought some white flannel yesterday, which gets spray basted to the back, and I will cut some more this weekend.

To date I have made 185 squares. Not sure when I will stop. Maybe when I run out of design wall














My June page for my fabric book. The prompt was Concentric Circles. Oh, I thought, easy peasy for me because I have done so many on my 4 inch squares. Not so! Working directly on the page gave me all sorts of problems and I had to resort to the simplest of stitches. I also added a bit of red to break up the monotony of all that blue and white. As on other pages, I edged it in lace, this time red. You can see the lace from previous pages peeking through. I am working on my July page and I will have it finished for next week. On time!


I have long been a fan of Paula Kavorik with her whimsical, quirky style. I have stood in awe front of her quilts at Quilt National. I couldn't get enough. Especially the year that her quilt was made out of a large round vintage tablecloth. There was so much going on with that piece and it was all just free motion quilting. Saying "just" does not do it justice because there were so many stories going on. The first quilt on her website is that round quilt. You will see what I mean.

So when she told us she had published a book, I knew I had to have it. Mine came today from Amazon and it does not disappoint. I only briefly flipped through it and read the first few pages, but I know I am going to love it. There are exercises to try and step by step suggestions to loosen you up and get your creative juices flowing. I can't wait to try some. 

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Kathleen Loomis said...

Love your little flower circles!! Make more of them, I suggest. xxx kathy

Angela said...

The flowers are fabulous with your circles!

LA Paylor said...

oooo your stitching is so good

Gwyned Trefethen said...

After doing a pencil drawing a day for the 100 Days of Art Project, I switched to drawing weekly. My goal is to maintain my skill, while not overwhelming myself with self-induced commitment. There is no doubt you creative and skill with embroidery has grown over your time stitching daily. You set the bench high from the get go. I love the border turned circle. Funny how an apparently simple tweak can transform a piece.