Sunday, January 20, 2019

LaLa Land

Long before the movie, we called Florida "LaLaLand" For us snow birds it is truly an idyllic place to get away from the wicked North East winters. I'm down here for three months now that I have purchased a new home last March. Although it's been a little cool since we got down here last week (mostly in the 60's and low 70's) it is nothing compared to the 10's and 20' and 30's back home and more importantly, NO SNOW. Actually this morning it was 1degree in CT and it's not supposed to get above 11 all day. I will take the chilly mornings here which are wonderful for walking. I've' been doing an hour every morning.

I made a couple of quilts for this new home and blogged about them before, but I thought you might like to see them in their new home.

I made this long narrow piece to go in the alcove going into the master bedroom. I quite like the way it looks. Click on any of the pictures for a larger view.


The quilt hanging to the left of the wall unit (housing the TV) was originally made for the den, but it was too small and I think it is looking good here.



This little triangular quilt might be a tad small for the space in one of the guest rooms, but the colors are so perfect with the bedding that I think it will stay. 



I brought some of my velvet Shibori pillows with me when I came down in May and I think they are perfect in the master bedroom.






I still have some drapery panels coming for the room. I did not make the framed shibori pieces on the wall. They were from a piece of handmade paper I bought this summer. I put them in white frames and think they look great. Notice the shibori pillow in the chair.

We are almost done with the furnishings. I ordered a couple of area rugs online today for the dining area and the den. Also ordered some drapery panels for the MBR and great room. Shopping online is fabulous.....free shipping and if you don't like it, back they go. I have had very good luck. I am here with my sister and two other good friends. Fortunately we all like to shop and love the thrill of the hunt and bagging a good deal. 

We have been without WiFi and TV for over a week now ( horrors!), but yesterday we found out that you can use your iPhone as a HotSpot, so we are off and running. Don't miss the TV very much and we have been doing a lot of reading and me, a little sewing. TV's are hooked up thanks to Comcast, but they had trouble with the outside line. Apparently new construction wreaks havoc with cable lines. It will get fixed this week, I hope. I do miss the morning news.

I'm not sure how much blogging I will do. Without a sewing machine here I won't be making much new and hand work is very slow for me, but  I will try to let you know I am still alive.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

2 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Oh total bliss Norma……I’m so happy for you…looks like a perfect place to R & R away from cold and snow! Was gobsmacked with your lovely quilts….esp. the one in the long hallway….. It 9 degrees here this morning (kinda unusual for us)…..and snow still on the ground from a mini-rain to snow event the other day. Guess I’ll just have to stay inside and sew!!

Linda M said...

Oh Norma, your new home is gorgeous! What a wonderful place to spend the winter. The quilts look perfect for the space and I wanted to get a better look at the upholstery on the chairs in the first picture, it also caught my eye. Have a wonderful three months.