Friday, December 21, 2018

On the Mantle

In my last post I mentioned the decorations on the mantle. I like to change it up every few years. My favorite garden place is transformed into a magical Christmas land and I love going there. Three or so years ago I fell in love with this lime green ribbon with sparkly red polkadots and stripes and decided that that would be the theme for that year.


I made big bows for either end and wove the ribbon through the evergreen garland. I added lime green balls and picks of leaves and berries in lime green and these pretty votives.


It looked best with this quilt made several years ago.

This year I wanted something different so off I went to Shakespeare's Garden (mentioned above) for inspiration. A woman was walking toward me with these fabulous long picks of red jingle bells with tiny springs of evergreens interspersed. I knew I had found my new theme. I bought three of the jingle bell picks, some new translucent red balls, some berry picks and then added some berry sprays that I already had.


I let the bells cascade over the edge in three places.


I had these cute Santa votives from last year and I thought they were a good addition.


I liked this quilt with it so much better. I have three Christmas quilts and I think this is my favorite. It was a dickens to piece and then I hand quilted it with gold metallic thread.



I used to be a good hand quilter with tiny even stitches, but I can't do it anymore because of elbow problems. Nor do I want to because I love to free-motion machine quilt.



Every year I manage to get a new Santa or two for my Santa tree. It's a big tree and there's always room for more.



A friend gifted me with this handsome fellow, all glass with fur around his hat.



I purchased two in Murano when I was there in September. It's a little hard to see but this is Santa in a gondola, all blown glass.


Also from Murano this little flat glass Santa.

Ho, ho ho and a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Linda M said...

Merry Christmas, as usual I'm in awe of your decorations, you definitely have the decorating talent.

LA Paylor said...

Oh, the beauty! So pretty. Wish I was there to see it! The Italian ornaments are finds! I love the idea of collecting santa's! I saw an inflatable tonight on our walk, of a squirrel dressed as Santa, holding a nut. So silly!

The Inside Stori said...

What a treat to see such beautiful decorations. I’ve given up decorating totally….well I do have a red/white table cloth pressed and ready for a dinner I’m hosting tomorrow……but with no family near enough to celebrate with……unfortunately my enthuasiasm has waned. I’m happy to see yours has not!

Vivien Zepf said...

Merry Christmas, Norma! Lime green is so much fun!