Monday, August 13, 2018

New work

I know you're not supposed to buy a painting to go with the couch, but that's what I did with this piece. My new Florida house has a small den with a small couch that opens into a double bed, an end table, a coffee table and a console with a TV. I might have room for a small chair.

I was so pleased with the mostly navy quilt that I showed you a few posts ago that I decided to make another in navy and gray (my accent colors). This one is an original design using gray Dupioni silk, my hand-dyed cottons and and some of my shibori.


 It is 30" x 40" and I think that will be a good size for the room. The couch is just a neutral color, the floors are gray weathered wood and I plan to add an area rug. If the quilt doesn't work in the room, I can probably use it in my bedroom.

It still has to be quilted and I plan to do it on my Sweet Sixteen. I want to quilt part of it in long straight narrow lines (corduroy quilting) and that is hard to do with free motion quilting. Curvy lines are a snap, but straight are much harder so I ordered a ruler that should help. It is 1/4" thick and you rest your machine foot against it as you go. I will have to do some practicing first.

I'll show you the quilting when it's done. I will be linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

3 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Lovely! I'll bet that positively shines with those silks.

Linda M said...

I like the combination of the shibori with your silks, looks great.

Susan Lenz said...

Looks great! Happy quilting!