Friday, August 3, 2018

Luscious Lilies

Last year when I was making my Presidential Fabrications I started out by using some cotton velveteen that I had ice dyed. I thought it was rather wild and thus suitable for the "Wild Fabrications" theme of the show. But as I started piecing it together and adding some pinks and fuchsias I realized that it was getting too "pretty" and not suitable for a political statement quilt. So I stopped piecing, put it aside and went on to make the quilt in different colors.

I went back later and free-motion quilted it in an all over floral design. Again, "pretty", but lacking. I just put it away.




My day lilies have been scrumptious this year and I've taken a lot of pictures. This variety is my current favorite, "Fountain of Life"





Soooo, I decided to print out some pictures on fabric and appliqué them to the finished quilt. If I had to do it all over again, I would have quilted the lilies first and then appliquéd them, because the extra quilting caused them to sink a little into the background, instead of stand out. You can't tell from the picture. I played with different colors for the shadows and settled on navy blue.


Luscious Lilies  21" x 31"

Detail of background

Detail of Lily

Please let me know what you think. I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday, which I didn't think I could do this week because of horrible problems with my internet. Argh, Comcast!! Two visits to the house and a long time on the phone and it is still sporadic so I am getting this out fast before I lose it again.

5 comments:

karenquiltz said...

that is soooo beautiful, your lilies, wow! How did you make the shadows under the flowers? That makes them look like you laid real flowers on the quilt. Love it and wish I had a green thumb.

Heather Pregger said...

What a fabulous idea! It is a beautiful piece. Good job in "rescuing" this quilt!

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Love the navy shadows, they really set off the lilies, it doesn't matter that the quilting made them fuse into the backing. Absolutely beautiful!

LA Paylor said...

oh Norma... I've been missing from visits lately... so distracted with stuff... but these are breathtaking. I just love what you've done, and your actual flowers. So beautiful. And love the sofa quilts. They are just so calm yet interesting. Do you know Ann at Fret not yourself? or Kaja at sew slowly? They do an improv blog group that did something like matchstick design and would love to get to know you. I'll send your link to them! Ann especially does a lot of posts about inspiration and design.

Kristy Donaghy said...

Norma, These are so beautiful! You are truly an artist, they feel like real flowers.Thank you for brightening our world with beauty.
Hugs,Kristy Donaghy