A couple of weeks ago I blogged about a quilt I had made for my FANE group's alphabet exhibit. I was assigned the letter R and I did a rose.
There were a few letters left over after everyone got their assignment so I volunteered to do B, knowing how much fun I've had working with buttons before.
It measures 16" x 20". I had a lot of buttons left over from other projects, although I did buy a bag of assorted whites, knowing that I would use the most of those. No sewing involved here. I used Aleen's Fast Grab Tacky Glue and I think those buttons are on there forever (at least I hope they are). My fabric was all fused onto a heavyduty Peltex, an interfacing.
It's a little hard to tell in the picture, but the B is also covered in buttons.
In between the rows of buttons I stamped fabric with a stamp I had made from a "Magic Sponge". It is a dense synthetic material that is used by heating it up with an iron (after covering the surface with parchment paper) then pressing down hard onto the items you want your stamp to be, in this case of course it was buttons. Naturally I finished the edges with a button hole stitch.
This was used many times and now is covered with dried ink. No problem, it still can be used many times.
For the back I used the stamp over and over to make a new fabric. The sleeve was stamped with a different one that made from a long narrow piece of dense synthetic.
I would recommend clicking on the pictures for a much bigger view that allows you see the variety of buttons.
I am lining up again with Off the Wall Friday. Hop on over and leave a comment. We all love comments. Me, too!