Wednesday, December 9, 2015

In a Pickle



If you follow my blog, you know how much I love Christmas and how much I love to decorate. I was just thinking the other day that this was the first year that I could remember when I hadn't bought a new ornament. There is usually a Santa that begs to come home with me, knowing that there's always room for one more on the tree. I often buy one while on a trip such as my Hawaiian Santa or my Scottish Santa, but I didn't see anything in Africa.

Nor did I see an ornament that I had to have for my living room tree that is all silver, white and gold. But then yesterday while going thru the checkout line in Marshall's, where they have tons of goodies to entice you as you wait on line, I spotted this pickle.  I vaguely remembered hearing somewhere about the importance of having a pickle on the tree. It was quite inexpensive, in spite of its being glass so I bought it. The story that was on the box tells how German families who trimmed the tree on Christmas Eve (not the day after Thanksgiving as many do now) would hide a pickle ornament amongst the green branches and the other ornaments. On Christmas morning the first child to find the pickle would get an extra present from St. Nicklaus. A charming tradition, I thought, so if you come to my house and can find the pickle on my Santa tree there just might be an extra treat for you.

5 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Fabulous pickle, we used to play a game, the first one that found the pickle got to open the first present...haven't thought of that for years and wonder whatever happened to my Mom's pickle ornament.

Sarah said...

I have never heard of that one before. I'm going to search for a pickle tree ornament!

Heather Pregger said...

My mother's family was German and we always had a pickle ornament on the tree. And like Rhoda, we didn't get an extra present if we found the pickle, we got to open the first gift. I always hang a pickle, but I put it out front to remind me of those Christmases.

Regina B Dunn said...

I used to go to friend's house for a Christmas party each year and the first one to find the pickle on the tree, got a prize. She had 14 decorated trees! I always gave up after quite awhile of searching. Sadly she has moved away and taken her trees and pickle with her. Needless to say, her guests arrived on time to try to be the first to find the pickle.

Vivien Zepf said...

I have a pickle ornament, too, in honor of my German roots!