Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April is the cruelest month

So said T. S. Eliot and last night proved him right. Yesterday it was in the 60's and overnight the temps plummeted to a frosty 24 this morning.  Add to that 2-3 inches of snow.






My daffies had just started blooming and look at them now.  I tried to lift up the flower heads from the sidewalk but they were frozen solid and the stems were like sticks of ice.






The only flowers I had outside were pansies in a big pot by the front door.  I always buy pansies as soon as they are available, the only thing you can put out so soon.  Last night I took them inside.  I knew that the plant wouldn't be killed, but the flowers would have been as frozen as these daffodils.

I tried to take my usual 7AM walk and was bundled up in my mid-winter gear for the frigid weather but I got as far as the corner of my street and turned back because of the black ice.  I didn't want to take a spill.

I well remember my first Easter in Connecticut on April 6, 1969.  We had a surprise storm with 12 inches of snow, so this little glitch in the weather shouldn't surprise us. Hopefully it will warm up for Easter this Sunday.

No comments: