Thursday, May 2, 2013

Busy, Busy Weekend

Why do things always come in bunches?  Feast or famine, as my mother used to say.  This is one of those weekends with so much going on. Tomorrow night I am part of a group that is hosting "First Friday" at the clubhouse here in the community where I love.  This is a Woman's Club event and is a strictly social affair where  members and spouses or significant others (if they have them) meet at a member's home for an evening of drinks and appetizers on the first Friday of the month.  In my community, Sterling Woods, no one has a house or townhouse big enough to hold 50 or 60 people comfortably, so 14 of us who live here (we keep saying we should have our own chapter) are pitching in together.  Since four of us had just been in Hawaii, we are having a Hawaiian theme, complete with hair flowers, leis, etc.  I'll post some pictures after the weekend. So that's Friday.

On Saturday there are two big events.  One is the big Northern Star Quilter's Guild show, information on the flyer below. I have three quilts in the judged show section, one in the black and white challenge, one in a FANE exhibit of kimono inspired pieces and one in the Deck of Cards exhibit. It's always a great show with a lot of quilts and vendors and speakers. If you're in the area, it's well worth seeing.


Northern Star Quilters Guild Presents: “World of Quilts XXXIV” 
Saturday May 4, 2013 and Sunday May 5, 2013
Northern Star Quilters Guild’s 34th Annual Quilt Show will be held at John F. Kennedy High School in Somers, NY.
The two day event includes an exhibition of traditional quilts and art quilts, lectures by SAQA artists Joe Cunningham and Teresa Barkley, demonstrations, quilt appraisals (by appointment), and over 30 vendors.  Raffle prizes include this gorgeous quilt made by Northern Star Quilters Guild members.
For more information including parking and directions to JFK High School in Somers, visit NSQG’s website: http://northernstarquilters.com/quiltshow/2013-quilt-show




The other big event on Saturday is the opening of the SAQA show, Local Color, an exhibition of fiber art celebrating Connecticut.  It is a juried show and I was so pleased to have two pieces accepted.  I was equally pleased to have one of my quilts chosen for the front of the postcard and for the cover of the catalog.  That's a slice of my cabbage quilt second from the right.








 So on Saturday I will go to the quilt show in the morning, then back to Danbury for the SAQA opening, then back to Somers again on Sunday to do some volunteer duty at the show and pick up my quilts at the end. I was a "quilt handler" yesterday for the quilt judging, quite an involved affair with three professional judges.  Since I was there I know if I won anything, but I'm not sharing yet.  You'll have to come back on Sunday or Monday when I will post the results with pictures.
Whew!!




2 comments:

Martha Ginn said...

I'm sure your show will be well received this weekend! Congrats for your cabbage piece to be part of the postcard. I visited with Kate Themel in Santa Fe last week--delightful Connecticut person!
Martha

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.