Monday, October 8, 2012

Postcards for Pets

Pokey Bolton, former editor of Quilting Arts Magazine and now chief creative officer of IQA in Houston, TX, recently asked for postcards to raise money for a no-kill animal shelter in Houston.  Apparently they are overrun with pets because of recent natural disasters. You can read about it on her blog here.  The fabric postcards will be for sale for $20 each. I like to make postcards and have done quite a few over the years.  Remember to click on any picture for a bigger view of all.



Drawing is not my strong point so I decided to get some novelty fabrics. I bought these quarter yards and then fussy-cut one animal from each one.  I had some landscapey type fabric in my stash and fused an animal to a background.


Then I machine quilted some grass and flowers on each one, matching the flowers to the animal.  I used Jeans Stitch thread which is very heavy and gives the impression of hand-made French knots. 




I think that this one is my favorite.  I like the incongruity of the tough-guy bulldog sitting in a field of pink and lavender flowers.

I won't be going to Houston this year and will not have a quilt there, either, so this way a little bit of me will be at the show.

10 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

They are adorable and for such a great cause.

Lisa Chin said...

Oh my goodness. They are adorable. I love the bulldog!

Vivien Zepf said...

They're all great; I think my favorite is the bulldog. Today I messed around with pics in photoshop in the hopes that I can get some postcards made, too.

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

Very cute. I think we will all exceed Pokeys expectations. Go Quilters!

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

These are so much fun, Norma! I love them!

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

lovely- especially the one with the bright red heart! I have to make one soon!!!

Sheila said...

Those are really really cute Norma! :)

Sherrie Spangler said...

Very cute!

Sarah said...

These are really nice and Im sure will be snapped up! I used to belong to a postcard swap group - makes me want to go and make some.