Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dali Museum

I was asked where my Wordless Wednesday picture came from, so I thought I would show you some more pictures from this amazing pace, the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL.


Here's part of the outside of the 20,000 square foot building, in itself a work of art, that houses an impressive permanent collection.  We took a docent tour, which I would highly recommend to help you understand his often bizarre art. Our docent was incredible! 



The spiral staircase leading to the second floor was a reference to his use of the chambered Nautilus and the golden ratio in his work. There were so many things in the museum store (fabulous) that featured the Chambered Nautilus and I couldn't resist buying a great t-shirt.  (Looks much better in person.  It has 3/4 length sleeves and a V neck)  It was the glass ceiling at the top of this staircase that you saw on Wednesday.


All of the grounds were interesting, too.  This tree had strips of paper on which patrons had written things,
Here's that famous mustache.


And the famous melting clock.

If you're ever in the area, I would highly recommend this museum and be sure to take the free docent tour.   St. Petersburg is a wonderful city that also has a Chihully Museum.  We did visit, but no pictures were allowed.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Im glad you have posted where the wordless wednesday photo was taken! I love the light and reflection. Thanks for sharing looks like it was a great day out.