Saturday, April 30, 2011

NSQG Show


Today was the first day of my guild's, Northern Star Quilter's Guild, annual quilt show. There were many beautiful quilts there as usual, but I'm only showing you three.

This one, Tranquility, by my good friend, Carolyn Cooney, won Best of Show and Best Original Design. I was so happy for her. She had worked on it, on and off, for four years. The lighting was not the best so it's hard to see how magnificent it really is. It is VERY dimensional. She used painted scrim, beads, silk ferns, needle punching, yarns, roving, embroidery, fussy cutting, and much, much more. It had such depth that you felt as though you could walk right into those woods.
Be sure to click on each picture for a larger view.


This detail, which is a little washed out from the flash, shows some of what's going on. Those big trees in the foreground stand out about a half inch from the background. It was truly deserving of winning the award.


This quilt by Diana Sharkey, First Ladies Log Cabin, caught my eye and the judges' since it received a second place ribbon. It looks like a simple log cabin at first, although very well done with tiny logs and precision piecing.


Upon closer look, you can see that each block, made of contemporary fabrics, gives a synopsis of a First Lady's, life.


Here's a quilt I haven't shown before. It is mine and part of my painted cabbage series. This one, Of Cabbages and Kings, is a whole cloth painted quilt that was appliquéd onto the burgundy background. The veining and detail are free-motion satin stitching. It received an Honorable Mention. I had two other quilts in the show, but they didn't win any awards.

9 comments:

Diane Wright said...

Thank goodness you posted and I read it! I had totally forgotten. I will see it tomorrow. Thank you, Norma!

Deborah C. Stearns said...

The painted cabbage quilt is lovely -- it gives a really rich look of depth. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous cabbage! Bravo. Well done.

A.Sproule said...

Norma, I love this piece. What wonderful work you have done. I would realy like to see other pieces from this series as well.

Christine Thresh said...

Your "Of Cabbages and Kings" is wonderful. It knocked my socks off.

Roxane Lessa said...

Very inspiring! I love the cabbage!

Unknown said...

The tree quilt which your friend did is really amazing and the cabbage stands proudly also. Thanks for posting!

Marilyn Wall said...

Wow Norma, love your cabbage.

Vivien Zepf said...

Congratulations to both you and Carolyn! I'm so happy you entered your cabbage quilt; it's one of my favorites!