Friday, June 26, 2009

Dali Museum

Now we are in Spain and a trip to the Salvador Dali Museum, a museum like I've never seen before. I really knew very little about the artist, except for his famous "Persistence of Memory", the one with the melting clocks. I was so glad to get a chance to see this building he designed to showcase a huge collection of his work.

This is a section of the outer wall. He had a thing for eggs and bread. Those yellow things protruding from the surface are loaves of bread.



Part of the interior courtyard, so much to look at........


Here is a a real Cadillac taxicab where, if you put a coin in the box, real rain would come down on the passengers inside. The buxom lady on top was made by someone else.




I printed this picture out small so that you could see Lincoln. If you click on it to see the larger view, it is another picture entirely. The painting was quite large and hung very high in the courtyard and we couldn't see Lincoln unless we looked though our cameras to get a reduction.


There was a separate museum to show his incredible jewel collection. These are ruby lips with pearl teeth.


This heart made of rubies beat like a real heart, a lttle creepy. Several of the jeweled pieces were mechanized.

3 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Wacky and wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed the pictures of your trip! I lived in France for two years and visited these same places during that time. Your pictures make me wish I could go back! Wasn't the Dali Museum something?

Monty Wilson said...

Thanks for posting the pictures! Barcelona is on my bucket list. And I enjoyed seeing the Dali jewels not once, but twice in this country in the 1960s-70s. Thanks for the memories.