Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Cloisters and the babies

I took a delightful trip today to see the Cloisters, a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art devoted to the medieval art, located in Fort Tyron Park in Northern Manhattan overlooking the Hudson River. Contrary to popular belief, it was never a monastery or convent or church, but rather built in the 30's to house this fabulous collection of religious art. Having been to Europe several times, I sure thought I was there all over again. There was no flash allowed inside so those photos are less than stellar. This photo is from one of the three gardens. They were beautiful. We had an excellent docent which just added to the pleasure of the day.

I've lived in this area for over 40 years and wonder why I've never visited before. This trip was run by the Woman's Club of Danbury/New Fairfield, of which I am a member. We have taken some wonderful trips and this was the last one for the year since we don't meet in the summer.






I finally got a good picture of the sparrows on my front door. You can see their little pin feathers growing and they're starting to fill out.


And here are the robins all squished together in their nest. How about those big blue bulging eyes?

4 comments:

Sherryl said...

When I lived in the City I used to go all the time. I always found it very relaxing. I would also meet out of town friends there. I do miss it.

Vivien Zepf said...

I've passed the Cloisters so many times on my way to the city; now I'm going to have to go!

And oh my, look at those babies. It's hard to imagine that these little fuzzy blobs will turn into lovely songbirds.

my croft said...

The Cloisters is one of my favorite places. They have a web site about the gardens and plant lore:
http://blog.metmuseum.org/cloistersgardens/

it was good to see you at the meeting tonight.

be well,
Melanie

Susan Schrott, Artist said...

As a native new yorker, I am ashamed to say I have never been to the cloisters. Now I have to go because you have inspired me. Those little babies are precious.