Sunday, October 19, 2008

Babies and Brides

It's been a long time since my last blog post, but I'm back from my fabulous trip to Japan and will try to give you a little bit of my impressions each day.  We visited many shrines and on this  Saturday there were several weddings and baby naming/blessing ceremonies.  



The children were adorable and they gladly posed for pictures.


Isn't she a cutie pie?


I loved the outfit on this little boy.


Our guide told us that it is very expensive to get married at the shrine and only for the wealthy.  The bridal couple and family march into the shrine, some dressed in traditional garb, some in western, but all looking very elegant .  All the men had on black suits, as did most of the other men we saw in Tokyo.

What a lovely couple!  Unlike China, here the bride wears white.  We also saw a couple of weddings at the hotels where the brides had on western gowns.

2 comments:

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

welcome back Norma! and look at all the spam here to welcome you...

Norma Schlager said...

Thanks, Natalya. I deleted all that spam and think I fixed it so that it won't happen again.