Friday, August 15, 2008

Great News!

I just found out that I am one of 38 artists accepted into Town and Country. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a new art quilt exhibit initiated by Karey Bresenhan. The quilts had to be at least 48" on each side and interpret the theme of Town and Country. The quilts will be exhibited on free-standing hard walls in a gallery setting with special lighting. It will first be shown at Quilt Market in Oct. in Houston, then International Quilt Festival in Houston in November, Quilt Festival in Chicago in April '09, Quilt Festival in Long Beach, CA in July, '09 and other venues after that. The quilts will travel for three years.

I can't show a picture of the quilt since we are not allowed to publish it online until it first shows in H0uston in October. But I can tell you that it is part of my Configuration series. This series features my hand dyed fabric and my "wonky piecing" which gives the illusion of buildings. I've done very well with this series. The first one, "Houston Reflections" was a second place winner in Houston. The second,"Hot Summer City Night" was juried into the Brush Gallery in Lowell, MA and sold, and the fifth, "Sunrise City" sold. Three and four have been exhibited and won awards.

I thought that I was finished with the series until I heard about this contest and thought that it was meant for me. so I created a sixth, using all hot colors and named it "Salsa City". Any judges' criticism I received on the other five said, "not enough quilting", as you can see in these pictures. "Salsa City", NOT shown here, is quilted to death and they were right; it looks so much better.

My quilt will be mailed to Houston in September to be judged. First and second place winners will be flown to Houston and put up at the Hilton Hotel in addition to very nice cash prizes.

I didn't think I was going to Houston this year, but now I am rethinking that.

1 comment:

Rayna said...

How fabulous, Norma!! Sounds like this is your year! Congratulations - this is a wonderful series, from what I can see.