Friday, December 17, 2021

Bah Humbug!

For the past several years (except for last year) I have hosted a ladies luncheon for fifteen at Christmas time. I was so glad that things were back to almost normal and I could do it again this year. After all we had all be triple vaxed.  So I decorated, polished my silver, put the leaves in the tables, ironed the tablecloths, set the tables, put the party favors on the napkins, got the extra chairs from the basement, set up the folding table with another tablecloth for the buffet, and cooked and cooked. All set for Thursday at noon.

THEN more than half of my guests went to a book club meeting on Tuesday evening and got the news  Wednesday morning that the hostess had tested positive for Covid.  What to do, what to do? Most of them went running to get a test on Wednesday, but from all the info I could get online and elsewhere, you should wait 3-5 days after exposure or you might get a false negative result.

Sooooo, altho it broke my heart, I canceled. I did not want to take the chance of exposing anyone. Hopefully they are all fine and not sick at ll, but I just couldn't take the chance. 

Better luck next year, I hope. Today I spent part of the day, dismantling the tables and putting things away. As for the food, I can freeze some of it and the rest will have to be tossed. 

                                                                      Dining room


                                                         Party favor on the napkins.



                                                                                Kitchen


I have a friend whose daughter works in the hospital and she told her to wear her mask everywhere. The hospitals are filling up again with Covid cases. Just when we thought we could relax. Then I remembered that this is not the end of the world for us. We were not affected by the horrendous tornados in some parts of he country. Just a little social setback. Hopefully I can do it next year and I will save those party favors.



Suffice it to say that I got very little sewing done this week. Just this one from the Japanese design book and another almost finished.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday. 

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm so sorry, Norma. Perhaps it would have been considered "bad form" for the Book Club members to ask their hostess if she was vaxxed...or perhaps the poor woman got a 'break-through' infection (I had one in August. Sigh...)...Perhaps instead of 'tossing' the perishables, they could be donated to a 'free food' place for immediate consumption?

Whatever happens, take care, stay safe, and live to celebrate another year. The good thing about Christmas is...it happens every year, whether we notice or not...

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Although not a guest at your annual Christmas themed party, I anticipate it with joy each year. What will Norma do next? Your table settings, favors and meals are always stunning. This year lived up to your impeccable standards right up to the last moment. Lovely table and adorable favors.

Anonymous said...

Your party favors are delightful! I bet your friends are eagerly awaiting to get them NEXT year!

LA Paylor said...

oh Norma... it never ends... what a disappointment but you had to cancel. Your table and ornaments are adorable.
People could test neg and still carry the virus in their noses, unaware. It's a tricky virus, hell bent on spreading and surviving. A smart virus we have to outwit if possible.
Hoping the rest of your holidays are as happy as possible. It's lonely for me, and the weather is too warm for Colorado in Dec... neighbors are icky... but we have perogi I made yesterday for the first time and froze. We have cookies for a tray this year. We have netflix and each other. I'm so sorry your party had to be cancelled.
LeeAnna