Thursday, January 21, 2021

Daily Stitching and Tools of the Trade



 I've been faithful in keeping up with my stitching, in fact I'm a little ahead.









Least favorite of the week. Look at that wobbly outline and I don't like the color combo. I don't know why the background looks like it has wavy lines, because it doesn't. For some reason all of the squares using this fabric has the same lines.

Favorite of the week.


I know I said that I was only going to use straight stitches until I had exhausted the possibilities, but I couldn't resist putting French knots on this one. That little blip of blue on the French knot in the center is some blue marker that did not come out. I spritzed it again and it came right out.





I know that there are some super stitchers out there that could do these without any marking, but that's not me. For designs that are in a grid I drew a quarter inch grid with a blue wash out pen. I don't draw the designs, just the grid, to keep me on the straight and narrow.



I especially like this six inch, very thin, C-Thru Ruler




This marker is terrific. It makes a very fine line and comes out with a spritz of water.
















I sent away for these plastic circle templates. The largest one is three inches, the perfect size for my four inch squares. They are so much easier to use than my former hand cut circles from template plastic and they don't get lost on my work table. 



And, yes, I made some more masks. I thought I was done and now I really am. Our regional Hospice, a charity I support, is putting on a new children's wing. A youth group is selling masks to raise funds. I do not know what they are charging, nor do I care. I know someone who has made over 1,000 masks. I can't imagine. I think I've made 70 or 80 and that's enough for me.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.








8 comments:

Shannon said...

I love seeing your stitch-a-day progress! They're all fun, but I think my favorite is the circle filled with little squares. They seem very enclosed and connected (the line I mean) and for some reason that one jumps out at me as unique.

Shannon said...

Sorry, it's me again, I was just on an embroidery blog I follow and the lady (Carina) was talking about a Swedish Embroidery technique called Bottensom. I got super excited about it, and went down an instagram rabbit hole and now I'm going to try it, but it occurred to me that it is almost all straight stitch-in-a-circle and results in some really cool things. Not sure whether it would fit with your criteria for your daily stitching, but if you haven't seen it before I'd recommend checking it out. You can see Carina's english tutorial at www . carinascraftblog . com


Angela said...

Fabulous! I so love your circles!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

All your sashiko circles are my favorite!!! Beautiful1!!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Ooo, I love every bit of your stitching this week! Your fav is also mine. The circles really set off the lines

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Each motif is more intriguing than last. No way could I choose a favorite. BTW, I'm firm believer in setting my own rules and then breaking them when inspiration hits. So, the addition of the french knots had me smiling.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Norma, I really love your stitching. It's so interesting how different they are. I also have to draw a grid if I want anything resembling a straight line! Take care.

Sarah said...

I've had fun catching up with your blog news Norma! I was thinking how perfect your circles are and I'm a bit of a French knot fan so I say go for it! I bought myself a plastic template like yours when I was doing a sue spargo project but my largest circle is no where near 3" I'm now coveting your templateLOL. Take care.