Friday, October 23, 2020

Another finish

  I finished quilting my second donation quilt. I contacted the director of Ann's Place in Danbury and she will see that they go to the chemo ward at the hospital. She told me that patients are not allowed to have a friend or spouse with them during the pandemic, so a little extra comfort will be welcome. 


I photographed it outside so that you can see the true colors. All attempts inside made it too dark.






I was so happy to find this dragonfly print for the borders and backing. I roughly outline quilted the dragonflies and used that flanged binding again with no hand sewing. I'm rather pleased with the way this turned out and hope it will bring smile to someone's face.


I did something really stupid while cutting the binding. I have been sewing for umpteen years and using a rotary cutting for almost that long and I have never had an accident. I don't know how it happened, but  I rammed right into my pointer finger on my left hand. Ouch! I quickly ran to the bathroom and ran cold water over it, but it bled and bled. I kept putting pressure on the cut and finally stanched the bleeding and then saw that it was also bleeding from the nail. Yep, I had run right across the nail, too. It took a long time for it finally to stop and when it did I put a bandaid on it very tight, then another on top of that and then put on a finger cot. Since I wash my hands so many times during the day it's hard to keep a bandaid dry. The finger cot worked like a charm. It happened two days ago and I took the bandaids off this morning. It looks okay, but it still needs a bandaid and a finger cot. Good news! I did not get blood on the quilt.



This sign hangs on my studio door. 


I always have flowers on my kitchen table. They are so inexpensive at the grocery store and I pick up a bunch or two every week. I have been using Alstroemeria all summer. They are so easy to just cut down and plop in a vase and they last all week. But for the last three weeks I have been buying mums. I love the pretty color combinations, although they do have to be made into an arrangement with Oasis. My kitchen adjoins my family room and if I'm not in my studio, that's where I am and I get to enjoy them all day.




So that's it for this week. I have two more quilt tops spray basted and ready to go, so come back next week to check them out. I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

LA Paylor said...

omg I did that
sliced a section off the side of the pointer finger.
It bled for days, then seeped, then hurt for a long long time and finally granulated back in with flesh! I only have a hint of a white scar now. Right after I did it, we went to the lancaster show, shopped in zooks and the cutting table woman said she'd just done the same thing!! It happens. Quilting is a sport!
LeeAnna

Kathleen Loomis said...

I once did that too -- sliced into the nail with the rotary cutter. I am usually pretty good about fixing up people's bloody wounds, even my own, but this was the only time in my whole life that I couldn't even stand to look at the injury; it made me sick. I forced my husband -- who usually faints at the sight of bloody wounds, even on other people -- to apply the bandage and then subsequently to change the bandages and check whether it was healing or not. It healed just fine but I still get sick just thinking about it.
Looks like you did a great repair job on yourself! congratulations!

The Inside Stori said...

A LOVELY, LOVELY quilt!! Honestly I got chills as I was reading about your quilt injury I’m terribly squeemish. Your ‘fix’ is brilliant!!

Sarah said...

I love the colours in your quilt. It will be a comfort to someone I'm sure. Everyone needs a quilt hug, especially when in hospital. That finger must be sore! Hope it doesn't hinder your creativity for long!