Saturday, August 15, 2020

Ta-Dah! Finished!

 I got the last of these little beauties sewn down to the 30" canvas last night and I must say that I am pleased with the results. It was very tricky getting them all aligned perfectly. I did a lot of measuring and moving around before I was satisfied. When I had them were I wanted them, I very carefully picked up one side and put down a piece of two sided masking tape to keep them in place. Then I sewed them to the canvas, trying to match the buttonhole stitch that I had put around the edge of each piece. Tedious.

The problem with this piece is its fragility. I could never put it in a show where it had to be mailed or even dropped off for someone else to hang. All of those little embellishments  could be crushed or broken.

If all goes well they will be hung at the end of Sept. in the Newtown Library for our annual show there. But we don't even know if the library will be open. We may just have to have a virtual show online. The name of the show is "A Walk in the Woods" and my piece is "Forest Floor".



If you have been reading anything about the progress of this piece, you will know that the one in the center is all hand embroidered. My original plan was to hand embroider all of them, but that was taking forever. The rest were stitched on the machine and the embellishments (tree lichen, moss, bark, twigs, etc.) were glued on. 

Click on the picture for a bigger view and click again for an even bigger view and you can see all the details.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

5 comments:

Linda M said...

Wow, perfect example of the theme! Looks terrific hope it gets to be seen.

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Norma,
This quilt is a true piece of art! I'm amazed at the stitching, the use of twigs and bark and ... oh my ... it's absolutely stunning!
It would be wonderful to see this in person! Hopefully your library will be open in time for the show!
Happy Quilting!
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

This is wonderful!

The Inside Stori said...

Wow, what an intriguing and successful project………thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful piece. Norma. I'm so sorry that you won't be joining us in FANE anymore. I will be sorry to not see your work in person(if we get to see each other in person ever again)
Keep up the Wonderful Work.
Carole Hoffman