Thursday, February 16, 2017

More Shibori and Snow Dyeing

I was given a box of vintage linens by a friend who thought I could do something with them. There were quite a few crocheted things that didn't particularly interest me, but I did like the set of 6 plain white place mats. I thought they would look great with some of the shibori napkins I had made a little
while back.



I used what I call my "smooshy" method of Shibori for these, as I had done for some of the velvet pillows I made. I loosely accordion pleated them and then tied them very tightly with nylon string in four places. They are all basically the same and yet each one varies from the next, the nature of shibori.


We have had a prodigious amount of snow in the last week and it has been plenty cold enough for it to stick around. Let's do some snow dyeing! These next three pieces were done a year or so ago using just black dye. I was so delighted to see all those other colors come out. They are even more gorgeous in person. There are definite touches of aqua which don't show up in the photos. I really should plan a quilt around them.






Soooooo.....I thought I would snow-dye a set of napkins using just navy blue dye. I was hoping to get a lot of variation as I did with the black. Not so, just shades of blue.  Well, maybe slight touches of reddish blue. I was gifted this lovely set of 11 damask dinner sized napkins. Here they are right out of the dryer, no ironing and nice and soft. They would make great everyday napkins, but do I need eleven?










It is supposed to warm up this weekend, but if we have any snow left I will do some more napkins (people keep giving them to me now), but this time in multicolored strong pastels. At least that is what I will aim for.

I will be linking up with Off the Wall Friday on Friday.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma
The napkins look lovely and I can't wait to see them in person.
Carole

quiltedfabricart said...

What fabric did you use for that first piece? It came out so vibrant - just beautiful!

Wil said...

You get the most varied colors if you snow (or ice) dye with mixed colors. My guess is you used deep navy for the blue, that will break down only to blue as it is a pure color.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I never thought I would say it, but I miss snow. Isn't amazing to think of all the colors used to create a black a dye? The results of last year's snow dying are gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I'd love to try snow dying, but I'm in southern NM and we don't get snow. I would also love trying shibori. So many art projects, so little time.

Marianne said...

Magnifiques vos tissus, j'aime beaucoup ceux de l'année passe fait avec la neige, moi je n'ai pasu d'aussi beaux résultats

Vivien Zepf said...

Those fabrics are wonderful!!

Nightstitcher. said...

Which black dye did you use? The fabrics are gorgeous!

sonja said...

Those napkins came out great.
I am not a big fan of black however i am of the color outcome of ice dyeing!
I am a big fan of surprise results!