Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Birthday Surprise

This past Saturday was my birthday. I had my FiberWorks group at my house for a meeting on Friday morning, where I received many Happy Birthday wishes. I got a lot of lovely cards in the mail and soooo many FaceBook salutations. Friday night I went out to dinner with my usual Friday night group. We went to an upscale restaurant where I enjoyed a delicious meal and a great martini and had a candle on my dessert. I was planning on spending my actual birthday attending a surprise 80th birthday party for a friend and in my studio finishing up a project or two. 

My son lives in Portland, OR and always sends me flowers for my birthday. I was all bundled up and ready to go out for my morning walk when the door bell rang at 8:30. I thought that it was early for a flower delivery and when I opened the door there was my son holding a big bouquet of flowers. I couldn't have been more surprised. He had taken the red-eye to spend my birthday with me.

I had to go to the 80th surprise party and he needed a nap in the afternoon. We went out to dinner at a local restaurant that evening and Sunday we went into NYC for the day before he took another
 red-eye back home that evening. We had a great day in the city. We both like to walk, visit museums and eat good food and that's what we did. I had forgotten to charge my phone so all of these pictures were taken with his phone.




Here I am petting the Picasso goat in the sculpture garden at MOMA. I guess I should have known better, but the guard came rushing out to tell me not to touch it.




We started at the top floor of MOMA and worked our way down. This Jaguar XKE brought back some memories from the past. I always thought it was a gorgeous car and it still is.







We both read The New Yorker and decided to try this restaurant that had been reviewed there. I had the most expensive hamburger I ever had, although I must say it was scrumptious! Also had some wood roasted oysters and a nice glass of wine.




We watched the skaters at Rockefeller Plaza. It was not crowded at all, probably because it was Super Bowl Sunday.




The trumpeting angels that are on the Plaza for the holidays were replaced by this rotating snowman made of mirror balls.




My son and I share the same opinion of our new President and he could not resist taking this selfie. The barricades were up but there was hardy anyone there, partly due to it being the day of the big game and the fact that his royal highness was at his palace in Florida for the weekend. Guess he needed a vacation after making all those executive orders.




We popped into St. Patricks's Cathedral because he had not see the renovations. So beautiful.





I always like these mirrored buildings with their distorted view of the neighboring buildings. I once made a quilt called Houston Reflections, a favorite of mine. Click on this picture and then click again to get a really big view. You can see that it is reflecting a church.


That's it. It was a very special day and my best birthday surprise ever!



4 comments:

Regina B Dunn said...

Sounds like a great day. Happy Belated Birthday!

Vivien Zepf said...

So glad you had such a wonderful day with your son! What a happy birthday, Norma!

Linda M said...

Happy Belated Birthday and what a fabulous surprise and way to spend the day!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Norma! What a fun day in NYC! You share a BD with Oprah! Adn minis on the 6th. A good group of Aquarians, if you ask me.... :)