Friday, June 27, 2014

California, Part 4



While in Monterey we visited the Fisherman's Wharf, much better, in our opinion, than the one in SF.  We saw seals and otters swimming around.  We loved the way the otters dove down to get their food, then brought it up to the surface and flipped on their backs to eat their catch.  They were so comical. It was hard to get a good picture because they were so fast.


The seals were also funny, vying for territory on this wharf and making a terrible racket.  I sure wouldn't want to be taking a nap while they were around.  The sound carried for a long way.



We visited Cannery Row, where there used to be a huge fish canning industry.  Most of the canned sardines came from this area.  Now it is a tourist area abounding in shops and restaurants and the sardines are long gone due to over fishing.





This sculpture was dedicated to the people who helped to make this area famous, with John Steinbeck on the top.  Although I have read others by him, I don't think I ever read his book, Cannery Row, but I am going to download it on my Kindle.

2 comments:

Hilary Florence said...

John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath is a terrific read Norma - very sad and hard but beautifully portrayed. I hope you enjoy it. Luck you with the seals and otters!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

What a lovely blog you have. Living in the Bay Area, I am intrigued by your impression of the Fisherman's Wharf areas in both Monterey and San Francisco. I must admit it has been ten years since I was in Monterey, but I will go back on your recommendation. The waterfront is a lovely place in nearly every town with its ever-changing face of the industries it serves. Thanks for sharing your photos of Monterey.