Thursday, January 31, 2013

Baby Quilt


It's been a long time since I've made a baby quilt, but when my son's best friend, Will and his wife Emily, had a baby a couple of weeks ago I had this one already made.  Several years ago the Bethany Reynolds Stack and Whack quilts were all the rage and I think I even taught a class in it.  I made this quilt and just loved it, but it never seemed to be the right color for any ensuing babies.  Either they were boys  and I thought that this coral was too feminine or the parents had a specific color request.  This baby is a girl and the nursery has teal carpet, so I though this would be a good fit.  The colors in these pictures  are a little off and are more like the colors in the last picture.








To make the quilt you start with a cute all overprint like this one, and fussy cut it to make kaleidoscopes.   You can see an excellent tutorial online here.



 You end up with some interesting patterns.  The coral fabric with the white dots was a companion print and I added gold and teal borders.







This is more like the real color.  I remember being so pleased to find the flannel for the backing in the perfect color. I always make a label that gives the baby's name and birth-date and my name.

So a big welcome to Molly, as her nickname will be.  I hope you and Mom and Dad like the quilt.

PS.
 In the box where this quilt was stored I had another partially made quilt.  Six blocks, out of eight, are already pieced and the triangles are all cut out, but I don't have any of that cute backing fabric.

4 comments:

Cindy Green said...

It's beautiful and I'm sure it will be much treasured by Molly and her parents. What a lucky baby!

Sarah said...

I love this pattern. I did a quilt a long time ago in this but it still needs backing and quilting. Seeing your finished piece has made me want to get it done! Congratulations to Mum and Dad and their new daughter.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Norma, it's beautiful! I still love the Stack 'n Whack, and this inspires me to get out the top I finished long ago but never quilted. That is one lucky baby!

Vivien Zepf said...

Lucky baby! I made a kaleidoscope quilt once and it is so fun to see what designs the fabric creates!