Friday, April 10, 2020

Masks and more masks.

There are hundreds of sewers making masks for themselves, family, friends, and hospitals. I was asked to join a FaceBook group called Sew to Stop Covid 19. The group numbers 739 the last time I looked and imagine how many more who are not counted. There is now even a mask emoji.
 ðŸ˜·

I delivered twenty to our local Hospice today, who had requested them and had provided a pattern to cover the N95 masks.




Below are a few of the fabric combinations. I used all batiks and I was hoping that the pretty or zanny fabrics might bring a smile to the wearer.












This  pattern called for fabric binding and ties and I was so glad that I had the Clover binding tool. It made the job so much easier.



Reflection made it hard to photograph.


Cut your strips two inches wide and pass thru the tool. It comes out folded in half with the raw edges in the center. Press with a steam iron as it comes thru.


Then fold in half, again pressing as you go.



I am taking a break from masks for now. That's all I've done since I got back from Florida. I need to do some serious house cleaning (no cleaning ladies) some much needed organizing of my studio and basement. I hope to make all this time inside productive.

Those of you who follow my blog know that my niece always puts on a fabulous Easter dinner....gourmet cooking and decorated to the hilt. Well, of course that's not happening this year, but we are going to Zoom at 2PM with all the usual participants. Aren't we glad to have this fabulous technology in these trying times!

Happy Easter, Happy Passover to all and may this all be a memory soon.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I was so glad to read your post the other day and see you got home safely!!! And I too love the binding bias tool. I bought it years ago and have never done anything with it, but it made my list of favorite things this week for the same reason as you! Really an amazing little doodad.

Kathleen Loomis said...

the batik is not just beautiful, but more effective in stopping the virus because of tight weave. that's what I'm using too. yours are gorgeous!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Stunning, Norma. I second the previous comments. Batiks are the best fabric choice and I can't tell you how much I like my bias binding tool. I actually have 3 for 3 different sized bindings.

Rebecca Grace said...

WOW, that's a lot of masks! It's neat how yours are shaped to fit the N95 perfectly. But only the first couple of photos are appearing in your post; the rest are blank white squares with a giant MINUS sign in the middle. That happened to one of the photos on one of my recent blogger posts as well; not sure what the glitch is but it's all kinds of annoying! I want to SEE!